Friday, August 22, 2008

My tree lover...

As many of you may know, my hubby is a certified arborist (tree lover, tree hugger, tree surgeon, etc.) and has a true tree addiction. So far...he has planted 24 trees in our yard...with 3 fruit trees coming this fall! Really? Do we need that many?!

"We can learn a lot from trees: they're always grounded, but never stop reaching heavenward"
-Everett Mamor
Some of our trees...



top row: : Southwestern White Pine, Kentucky Coffee Tree, Chinkapin Oak
bottom row: Japanese Zelkova, Japanese Tree Lilac, Southwestern White Pine
. . . . . . . . . . . . . ..
Earlier this summer, while we were away, our lovely puppies (they are sisters) decided it would be fun to strip bark off the trees. We lost five trees before our neighbor called to alert us. SO, $700 later, Alex decided it wasn't worth it to keep the dogs (this wasn't their first property destruction offense and it certainly hasn't been their last!). He told the children we were selling the dogs and, of course, they began to SOB!
I pled their case (the children and the puppies) and made promises I haven't been great at keeping. We finally agreed they could stay (the children and the puppies). Alex really does have a big heart under that rough exterior, but you just don't mess with his trees!! :)

The culprits: MOLLY and ZELDA (a.k.a. bad news and trouble)

Look at those mugs!

4 comments:

Em and Jorg said...

Awh, Alex the Teddy Bear. I won't tell him I know ;)

Thanks to his aroristing abilities, we have awesome grass (so far). HOrray!

I love your kids! Ben's photo shoot made me laugh.

April said...

I didn't know you added puppies AND trees to the family this summer! Way to go!

The 5 Disney Lovers said...

Hey Tanya,
Glad you found our bloggy, now we can keep in touch better now. Thank heavens for ALL the trees, now we can find your house easier. :-)

Nate Craig said...

Amy and I are touched that you planted a Kentucky Coffee Tree in your yard in our honor!! Good to hear from ya'll!!