Alex gets home from work everyday at 6:00 pm. Preparation for his arrival various from 2 hours to 5 minutes. That time often includes looking in the pantry, fridge or freezer hunting for the simplest dinner option, the kids tellling me they are hungry (over and over again), piano practice, homework, tv watching, setting the table, etc. By the time we sit down for dinner, I'm not feeling so perky...in fact, quite the opposite. Thankfully, Alex never complains.
Conversation at the table usually consists of:
"sit up while you are eating...that's a chair not a bed"
"eat with your mouth closed...we don't want to see your food"
"don't eat with your hands...use your fork"
"I hope you don't act like this at school"
"If you don't sit on your chair, you'll have to eat in the pantry"
"that's very nice, now eat your food"
"worry about yourself"
"don't eat like animals"
"if you don't eat your dinner, don't complain later that you are starving"
"eat your vegetables"
Every once and awhile I get a compliment about dinner, we don't feel rushed, we talk about what makes us happy and
we laugh.
It's the one time, everyday, that we are together.
I realized today that...
Dinner time is my favorite time of day.


5 comments:
I have heard some of those exact same comments come out of Joe's an my mouth. I love sitting down together.
I'm with you there! I love dinner time. Even though mealtime moments are less than perfect--- it's just perfect like that!
I was laughing when I was reading the "conversation at the table", because lots of times I say the same things to my kids that my mother said to me. I guess we mothers are all similar and universal.
Tanya, love how you write by the way. so true, it's always a juggling act at dinner, but so nice to all be together!
Ro
I love dinner time, too. Other than the fact that I love my cooking (humble, I know), I love that we're all together even though I have to tell Presley to sit down a million times before she's done! I love your blog.
Post a Comment